Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Black Dog and The White Dog

 A wise American Indian Chef once told this proverb:

 "Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog, all of the time." When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied "The one I feed the most."

 As you can probably guess the black dog represents our sinful nature while the white dog portrays our new self that has been reborn in Jesus Christ.

At least in me these "dogs" battle almost everyday and too often it is the black dog who claims victory and wins. Each time leaving me wondering how on earth I gave in to my sins when just yesterday I was doing fine.

Whenever the black dog wins in your life realise that you must have been feeding it and starving the white dog. When this happened to me I prayerfully went to God and asked for forgiveness and while I was there He showed me that not only do I need to starve the black dog, but I also need to feed the white dog. I did a thorough self examination and looked back to the period of time before I had sinned. I noticed that I had not been very regular with my morning quiet time with God. I was not necessarily feeding the black dog, but I was however starving the white one.

Whenever you are being tempted to do something stop and asked yourself this simple question, "Which dog am I feeding? The black one or the white one?"

Let me leave you with a couple of verses from Romans 13.

13 "Let us walk properly as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and sensuality, not in quarrelling and jealousy. 14 But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires."

No comments:

Post a Comment